COMMODITY: Small arms ammunition (shotshell, rimfire and centerfire)
SPECIAL: Limited Quantity of Division 1.4S – 50 caliber or less, inert bullets or tracer only
MODE OF TRANSPORTATION: Domestic Vessel – Less than container load (LCL) and container load (CL) service
NOTE: LQ Ammo by Domestic Vessel has the same packaging and marking requirements as Domestic Road, but it requires a shipping paper.
|PROPER SHIPPING NAME:||Cartridges, small arms||LABEL:||No|
|IDENTIFICATION NUMBER:||UN 0012||PLACARD:||No|
|HAZARD CLASS/DIVISION:||1.4S||EMERG. INFO:||No|
|(2)Hazardous materials descriptions and proper shipping names||(3)Hazard class or Division||(4)Identifi-cation Numbers||(5)PG||(6)Label Codes||(7)Special provisions(§172.102)||(8)Packaging (§173.***)||(9)Quantity Limitations(see §§173.27 and 175.75)||(10)Vesselstowage|
|Bulk||Passenger aircraft/ rail||Cargo aircraft only||Loca-|
| Cartridges, small arms||1.4S|| UN0012||none||63||62||None||25kg||100kg||01||25|
Blank cartridges, small arms that have been classed as Division 1.4S explosive may be transported as limited quantities when packaged as follows:
- Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions that fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips; no single packages allowed i.e. inner packages are required.
- Except for 22 rimfire, primers must be protected against packaging or another cartridge base.
- Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packagings; no specification testing is required.
- The maximum gross weight is limited to 30 kg (66 pounds) per package.
Citation: 49 CFR 173.63 (b)(2)
SHIPPING PAPER REQUIREMENTS
Unlike domestic road, domestic vessel shipments are not excepted from documentation. The documentation is like 1.4S domestic road or vessel, except that “LTD QTY” is added to the end of the shipping description. Unlike international vessel, but like domestic road, the net weight is an acceptable alternative for the net explosives weight.
|X||UN 0012, Cartridges, Small Arms, 1.4S, LTD QTY||(Insert net weight or net explosives weight)|
Citation: 49 CFR 173.63(b)(1)(i)
Limited quantity packages containing blank small arms cartridges (ammunition) must display the following limited quantity marking on one side as:
In addition, each carton may have to be marked with the consignor’s or the consignee’s name and address, see 49 CFR §172.301(d) for exceptions *. No UN number or proper shipping name is required.
* Per 49 CFR §172.301(d), the package must be marked with the consignor or consignee’s name and address unless the package is:
(1) Transported by highway only and will not be transferred from one carrier to the other;
(2) Part of a carload lot, truckload lot or freight container load, and the entire contents of the rail car, truck or freight container are shipped from one consignor to one consignee.
Citation: 49 CFR §173.63(b)(1)(i) & §172.315 (a)
The “OVERPACK” marking is only required if the limited quantity marking is not visible, in which case the “Limited Quantity” and “overpack” stickers are required on only one side of the pallet or overpack box.
Citation: 49 CFR §173.25(a)(6)