COMMODITY: Small arms ammunition (shotshell, rimfire and centerfire) as 1.4S – 50 caliber / 8 gauge or less, inert bullets or tracer only; or above 50 Cal/8 gauge with an EX approval.
NOTE: Use LQ Data Sheet instead if package < 30 KG, primers are protected from other cartridges and ammo is in inner packages in an outer container. Use this data sheet for loose un-oriented “bulk” packs.
MODE OF TRANSPORTATION: Domestic Road – Less than truck load (LTL) and truck load (TL) service
|PROPER SHIPPING NAME:||Cartridges, small arms||LABEL:||None|
|HAZARD CLASS/DIVISION:||1.4S||EMERG. INFO:||Required|
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS TABLE
|(2)Hazardous materials descriptions and proper shipping names||(3)Hazard class or Division||(4)Identifi-cation Numbers||(5)PG||(6)Label Codes||(7)Special provisions(§172.102)||(8)Packaging (§173.***)||(9)Quantity Limitations(see §§173.27 and 175.75)||(10)Vessel|
|Bulk||Passenger aircraft/ rail||Cargo aircraft only||Loca-|
|Cartridges, small arms||1.4S||UN0012||none||63||62||None||25kg||100kg||01||25|
Cartridges, small arms 50 cal or less with inert bullets (including tracers but no incendiary or exploding bullets) may be self-classified by the manufacturer as UN 0012, Cartridges, small arms, Division 1.4S explosive. No EX approval is required.
Citation: 49 CFR §173.56(h)
Package the ammunition as follows:
- Ammunition must be packed according to Packing Instruction 130. No inner package is required. This allows a loose un-oriented jumble pack in a box or drum.
- The maximum gross weight is limited to 400 kg (882 pounds) per package.
Citation: 49 CFR §173.62
SHIPPING PAPER REQUIREMENTS
1) Shipping description together and in order with no other information interspersed:
“UN 0012, Cartridges, small arms, 1.4S”
2) The total quantity before or after the shipping description, in pounds and/or kilograms (lb or kg), covered by the shipping description in terms of net explosives mass, or the net mass, i.e. the weight of the powder and primer mix (primer mix may be negligible compared to powder) in the ammunition or the weight of the ammunition without any packaging. The degree of decimals or rounding is not specified, the recommendation is to use whole units, e.g. 5 lbs.
3) The number and type of packages, before or after the shipping description, e.g. “10 boxes” or “10 drums”. Commonly understood abbreviations may be used, e.g. “bx” or “drm”.
|X||UN 0012, Cartridges, Small Arms, 1.4S||(Insert net weight or net explosives weight)|
Citation: 49 CFR §172.202
Packages containing small arms ammunition must display the following markings on one side as follows:
“UN 0012” ½” tall, or ¼” tall for 30 kg max, or an appropriate size for 5 kg max; “CARTRIDGES, SMALL ARMS”; the specification package marking.
In addition, each carton may have to be marked with the consignor’s or the consignee’s name and address, see 49 CFR §172.301(d) for exceptions.
Citation: 49 CFR §172.300, 49 CFR §172.301(d)
An overpack is:
- a pallet
- a spec packaging within a non-spec packaging, normally used for consolidation
The “Overpack” marking is required if at least one representative marking is not visible of the UN number, proper shipping name and the specification packaging marking for every hazardous material in the overpack. If any of these are not visible at least once in the overpack, all markings and labels should be reproduced on one side of the over, in addition to the “OVERPACK” mark.
The word “OVERPACK” may be a sticker, stenciled, or on a printed sheet of paper. It must be at least 0.5” tall as of 12/31/2016. It does not have to have a surrounding border.
Citation: 49 CFR §173.25
ILLUSTRATIONS OF PROPERLY PREPARED DOCUMENT AND SHIPPING CARTON
|X||UN0012 Cartridges, Small Arms, 1.4SNet Explosive Mass = X,XXX KG (propellant weight, or optionally the net weight in the US only)||(Insert gross or net weight)|
|X||UN0012 Cartridges, Small Arms, 1.4S||(Insert gross, net or net explosives weight)|
* Per 49 CFR §172.301(d), the package must be marked with the consignor or consignee’s name and address unless the package is:
(1) Transported by highway only and will not be transferred from one carrier to the other;
(2) Part of a carload lot, truckload lot or freight container load, and the entire contents of the rail car, truck or freight container are shipped from one consignor to one consignee.