COMMODITY: Empty Primed Cartridges (shotshell, rimfire and centerfire)
SPECIAL: Limited Quantity of Division 1.4S – 50 caliber or less
MODE OF TRANSPORTATION: Domestic Road – Less than truck load (LTL) and truck load (TL) service
|PROPER SHIPPING NAME:||Cases, cartridge, empty with primer||LABEL:||No|
|IDENTIFICATION NUMBER:||UN 0055||PLACARD:||No|
|HAZARD CLASS/DIVISION:||1.4S||EMERG. INFO:||No|
|(1)Sym-bols||(2)Hazardous materials descriptions and proper shipping names||(3)Hazard class or Division||(4)Identifi-cation Numbers||(5)PG||(6)Label Codes||(7)Special provisions(§172.102)||(8)Packaging (§173.***)||(9)Quantity Limitations(see §§173.27 and 175.75)||(10)Vesselstowage|
|Bulk||Passenger aircraft/ rail||Cargo aircraft only||Loca-|
| Cases, cartridge, empty with primer||1.4S|| UN0055||none||63||62||None||25kg||100kg||01||25|
Empty primed cartridges that have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be transported as limited quantities when packaged as follows:
- Cartridges must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions that fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips; no single packages allowed i.e. inner packages are required.
- Except for 22 rimfire, primers must be protected against packaging or another cartridge base.
- Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packagings; no specification testing is required.
- The maximum gross weight is limited to 30 kg (66 pounds) per package.
Citation: 49 CFR 173.63 (b)(2)
SHIPPING PAPER REQUIREMENTS
Normal documentation requirements are waived when transported by road. This ammo is still hazmat, but it is not marked “HM” on the shipping document because it is not subject to documentation requirements. ORM-D or LQ may but should not be listed to allow mixed shipment of ORM-D and LQ packages; only “Cartridges, small arms” should be listed, and even that is not mandatory.
|Empty Primed Cartridges (or other description)||(Insert gross or net weight)|
Citation: 49 CFR 173.63(b)(1)(i)
Limited quantity packages containing cartridges, small arms (ammunitions) must display the following limited quantity marking on one side as
In addition, each carton may have to be marked with the consignor’s or the consignee’s name and address, see 49 CFR §172.301(d) for exceptions. No UN number or proper shipping name is required.
* Per 49 CFR §172.301(d), the package must be marked with the consignor or consignee’s name and address unless the package is:
(1) Transported by highway only and will not be transferred from one carrier to the other;
(2) Part of a carload lot, truckload lot or freight container load, and the entire contents of the rail car, truck or freight container are shipped from one consignor to one consignee.
The “OVERPACK” marking is only required if the limited quantity marking is not visible, in which case the “Limited Quantity” and “overpack” stickers are required on only one side of the pallet or overpack box.
Citation: 49 CFR §173.25(a)(6)