COMMODITY: Waste Small arms primers
MODE OF TRANSPORTATION: Domestic Road – Truck – only from Barnes Bullets facilities to a site for disposal.
Reference: According to the regulations, the word “waste” must be added to the hazardous material description in Column 2 of the Table, so that the proper shipping name is preceded by the word “Waste”.
Citation: 49 CFR172.101(9)
|PROPER SHIPPING NAME:||Waste Primers, cap type||LABEL:||1.1B|
|IDENTIFICATION NUMBER:||UN 0377||PLACARD:||1.1|
|HAZARD CLASS/DIVISION:||1.1B||EMERG. INFO:||Yes|
|MARKING:||UN 0377 Waste Primers, cap type|
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS TABLE
|(2)Hazardous materials descriptions and proper shipping names||(3)Hazard class or Division||(4)Identifi-cation Numbers||(5)PG||(6)Label Codes||(7)Special provisions|
|(8)Packaging (§173.***)||(9)Quantity Limitations(see §§173.27 and 175.75)||(10)Vessel|
|Bulk||Passenger aircraft/ rail||Cargo aircraft only||Loca-|
|Primers, cap type||1.4B||UN0377||1.1B||None||62||None||Forbidden||75kg||05||25|
Primers for small arms specially classified as 1.1B under EX 2018012057.
- Only valid for transport from Barnes Bullets facilities to a site for disposal
- Primers not exceeding 47.0 mg Net Explosives Mass
Citation: 49 CFR 173.56
Primers for small arms transported as Division 1.1 B under EX 2018012057 must be packaged as follows:
as provided by Packing Instruction PI 133:
Further limited to:
- Inner Packaging: Receptacles, plastic, each containing small arms waste primers completely immersed in Vascomill 10 oil with minimum 1-inch head space.
- Intermediate Packaging: containing one inner packagings – Bags, plastic.
- Outer Packaging: UN 4G fiberboard box, each containing not more than one inner packaging.
Citation: 49 CFR 173.62
SHIPPING PAPER REQUIREMENTS
1) Shipping description together and in order with no other information interspersed:
“UN 0377, Waste Primers, cap type, 1.1B”.
2) The total quantity ( net explosive mass) before or after the shipping description, in pounds and/or kilograms (lb or kg), covered by the shipping description.
3) The number and type of packages, before or after the shipping description, e.g. “10 boxes”. Commonly understood abbreviations may be used, e.g. “bx”.
4) EX number (Alternatively, this may appear on the package.) In the case o these waste primers, placing the EX number on the shipping paper may be the most efficient option.
5) Emergency Response Telephone Number
6) Shipper’s certification
|X||UN 0377, Primers, cap type, 1.1B, net explosive mass= x,xxx lbs, EX#2018012057||(Insert gross weight)|
Citation: 49 CFR 172.202
Packages containing primers for small arms must display the following :
1) Identification number: “UN0377” ½” tall, or ¼” tall for 30 kg max, or an appropriate size for 5 kg max;
2) Proper shipping name: “ WASTE PRIMERS, CAP TYPE ”;
3) The specification package marking.
4) In addition, each carton may have to be marked with the consignor’s or the consignee’s name and address, see 49 CFR §172.301(d) for exceptions.*
5) EX number marking or alternative code “Small arms waste primers”. Alternatively, this may appear on the shipping paper.
Citation: 49 CFR §172.301; 172.400 ; 172.320
* Per 49 CFR §172.301(d), the package must be marked with the consignor or consignee’s name and address unless the package is:
(1) Transported by highway only and will not be transferred from one carrier to the other;
(2) Part of a carload lot, truckload lot or freight container load, and the entire contents of the rail car, truck or freight container are shipped from one consignor to one consignee.
An overpack is:
- a pallet
- a spec packaging within a non-spec packaging normally used for consolidation
The “OVERPACK” marking is only required if the package markings and label are not visible at least once, in which case the “overpack” marking (e.g. sticker) is required on only one side of the pallet or overpack box, and the UN number, proper shipping name and hazard label must be replicated, preferably next to the overpack marking.
|UN 0377 WASTE PRIMERS, CAP TYPE|
Citation: 49 CFR §173.25
Placards for 1.1 primers, cap type are required at any quantity. No compatibility group letter is required for road shipments.
Citation; 49 CFR 172.504(c)